Sometimes it is quite hard to come up with a good guide for a hero, because the hero in question might have many specific mechanics and complicated gameplay… well, Medusa is not one of them.
Medusa is one of the most straight forward heroes in Dota 2. The gameplay of his hero is very simple and very effective at the same time. Once you master it, you will be able to win game after game.
As always you can check the steam guide here. Subscribe to use it in your games!
Table of contents
- Starting Items
- Early stage of the game
- Mid stage of the game
- Late stage of the game
- Common mistakes
- Tips & Tricks
The starting item build is identical to any other ranged agility hero. Get yourself x2 Slippers of Agility, Circlet, Iron Branch and Faerie Fire. Ask supports to pull you x2 Tango.
Every single item you buy should have a purpose. Iron Branch is very useful for midlaner, as it allows you to use Tango without leaving the lane and also double its effect. Faerie Fire might help you to survive during a gank or HP trade with your opponent. Slippers and Circlet can be used to complete x2 Wraith Bands, which will improve your stats.
Early stage of the game
Every small detail matter during the laning stage for Medusa. You need to make sure to get a good creep block, and then keep a lane in a good position for yourself to farm.
As Medusa is very dependent on last-hits, it is very important to learn how to control the lane by dragging enemy creeps closer to yourself. The shorter the distance between you and the enemy creep is, the easier it is to last-hit it. To drag creeps closer to yourself you need to use an ‘Attack’ command on the enemy midlaner(or any other hero on the map) near enemy creeps, it will force them to attack and follow you. This small trick is essential for all good midlaners to use on a constant basis.
Make sure to use Mystic Snake effectively. Use it to ensure last-hits of ranged creeps and to harass your opponent. Your goal is to hit both ranged creep and the enemy midlaner with two last jumps of Mystic Snake to use this spell to its full potential.
By minute 7 you should have level 6 and two Wraith Bands finished, this is where your ‘fun’ begins. Once you reach these conditions you should start pushing the lane and farming nearby neutral camps. Brace yourself, because you will have to farm jungle a lot.
In the beginning of the guide I have mentioned that the gameplay of Medusa is very simple. It is simple because it fully dedicated to farming. Farming effectively – is your main job in the next 15-20 minutes.
Join your team only to defend towers with Mystic Snake, or in case your team is getting heavily dived under allied towers and you are absolutely sure you can help them and get some kills out of it.
Mid stage of the game
Farm, farm, farm, farm and then farm some more, that’s what you have to do in the middle stage of the game. Your goal is to finish Manta Style and Eye of Skadi as soon as possible. To do so, you need to make sure to farm all around the map efficiently.
The only thing that can stop you from farming are enemy ganks. You need to be very careful and pay a lot of attention to the movement of enemy heroes around the map. Ask your supports to keep good vision around entrances to your jungle. If your supports are unable to provide necessary vision it is always a good decision to do it yourself. Make a safe zone for yourself to farm near the allied secret shop.
Try always to acknowledge the flow of the game. If your team has a huge lead, you might as well start fighting with them with only Manta Style.
Late stage of the game
Once you finish Manta Style and Eye of Skadi you can start playing with your teammates. But do not be too active, as your hero gains its best conditions after you purchase a third major item. Basically, you should keep farming but be ready to take a part in a fight.
With third big item finished, you can finally leave the jungle and start domination over your opponents.
Encourage your teammates to kill Roshan and secure Aegis of the Immortal. If the game goes well, by this point enemy team will not have any opportunity to kill you twice. The only work left in this game is to destroy the enemy Ancient.
If the game didn’t go as planned… well, not a big deal. Medusa is very good at high ground defense. You can sit in the base, get yourself several Divine Rapiers and still win the game.
1) Making unnecessary rotations and participating in unnecessary fights. Medusa in her gameplay is very similar to Alchemist. All you need to do is to farm efficiently and then join your team when you finish your key items.
2) Not buying a Magic Wand. Even though it is possible to play on Medusa without a Magic Wand, it is significantly easier to play with this item. As Medusa is very dependent on her mana in fights, Magic Wand can significantly improve her sustainability.
3) Using Mystic Snake ineffectively during the laning stage. Mystic Snake can deal quite a lot of damage if you use it well. Try to hit your opponent with the last possible snake jump. Use this spell to ensure last-hits of ranged creeps.
Tips & Tricks
1) Improve your skill through watching streams, videos or replays of professional players who pick this hero.
2) Focus on playing around key objectives of the game, such as Roshan, Towers and Bounty Runes.
3) Learn to drag enemy creeps closer to yourself. This trick is essential to know and use for any good midlaner during the laning stage.
4) Always pay attention to the mini map and to the movement of enemy heroes around the map. It is very important to avoid unnecessary deaths, as every single death significantly slows down your farm.
📌If you liked our guide, please rate it on the Steam Community!
From GOSU.AI with 💙