Hello there! We are back again with another part of ‘How to boost MMR’ series. You have probably seen our previous articles about position 5 and position 4 supports, but if you didn`t, you can check them out at the following links:
As we finally got past supports, now we can start talking about core positions. The role of an offlaner always considered to be the hardest among Dota 2 players. The role is called ‘position 3’ for a reason. To be a good offlaner, you need to have all the best qualities, which are inherent to players in all other positions. You should have an excellent individual skill, be very good at last-hitting and farming, while also have a perfect game understanding and map awareness.
Just like before, we will suggest the best heroes you can use to improve MMR, discuss common mistakes and help you with useful tips!
Table of contents
- Early stage of the game (1:30-12:00)
- Mid-stage of the game (12:00-26:00)
- Late stage of the game (26:00 until the end of the game)
- Global Errors
There are many different heroes, who are viable in the offlane position. In a current patch, Dota 2 has no limits in any way. However, we have gathered here to talk about MMR improvement. In order to boost your MMR quickly, you need to finish your games quickly as well. This is why you should aim to pick heroes with high pushing potential. The most common offlaners with this ability are Nature’s Prophet, Death Prophet, Pugna, Beastmaster and Leshrac.👉 Improve your skill in Dota 2. Become a Divine player with GOSU.AI! 👉
Lets have a closer look at each of these heroes.
1) Nature’s Prophet. This is a third time this hero made it to our articles, and very likely not the last time. Very high base damage in combination with Treants allows Nature’s Prophet to apply a lot of pressure on the enemy carry and have easy time last-hitting and denying. This hero provides impact in team fights, able to make solo kills and can be very useful in all phases of the game. Unlike other offlaners in this list, Nature’s Prophet can single-handedly win his lane and doesn`t require any help.
2) Death Prophet. Probably the least common offlaner in our list, but some players achieved very high ranks by spamming it in offlane position. Spirit Siphon can be used both defensively and offensively in the lane and can help this hero to either make a kill or survive during a gank. The biggest downside of a hero is a long cooldown on Exorcism. It prevents Death Prophet from being useful at all times. Unlike Nature’s Prophet, this hero can`t lane by herself and rely a lot on the help of position 4 support.
3) Pugna. Very high base movement speed and intelligence growth help Pugna to lane comfortably even against the most dangerous enemy heroes. Even though this hero relies on the help from a position 4 player, if it is necessary for a team Pugna can lane by himself. Nether Ward and Life Drain can help Pugna to provide impact in all stages of the game. Unlike some heroes in the list, Pugna is very vulnerable to ganks because of very little strength. While Pugna is able to push Towers, he can`t do it quickly enough like other heroes in this list.
4) Beastmaster. The only weakness of Beastmaster is his poor armour and low effectiveness at the beginning of the laning stage. However, once he got to skill two points in Call of the Wild Boar, Beastmaster becomes a very dangerous hero to lane against. This offlaner has an excellent solo kill, split push and initiation potential and is able to demolish the enemy base in the space of several seconds.
5) Leshrac. This hero is very similar to Pugna in many ways, but unlike him, Leshrac has a higher pushing potential and has an AoE stun, which makes him more effective in solo kill attempts. As a major downside, this hero is very vulnerable in the lane and requires help from a position 4 support.
Based on this information, we can conclude that Nature’s Prophet and Beastmaster are the best offlaners you can pick if you aim to improve MMR. Unlike other heroes in this list, they do not require a lot of help and can be very effective in all stages of the game.
Early stage of the game (1:30-12:00)
There are four common scenarios for offlaner during the laning stage:
1) Regular. If you have a better match-up or it is even, everything is quite simple. Come to the lane and start farming and harassing your opponents. Just remember, your main priority is to get as much farm and experience as possible from the lane. Do not waste your time chasing enemy heroes too much. Punish your opponents whenever they try to last-hit. Do not be afraid to use your spells to ensure last-hits, especially on ranged creeps.
2) Pulling the wave. If you have a very tough match-up, there is still an option for you to get yourself a decent amount of farm and experience from the lane. All you need to do is to move behind the enemy Tower and drag the second enemy creep wave to the safe place for yourself to farm. If you play for Radiant, it is very simple to drag this wave in between tier-1 and tier-2 towers. If you play for Dire, it is more common to drag the wave in between tier-2 and tier-3 towers. This simple trick will help you to secure a full wave of gold and experience, deny full allied creep wave and push the lane towards your Tower. You can also ask your lane partner to do it.👉 Tired of losing MMR? Click here and start to win! 👉
3) Stacking several waves. This is an alternative to a previous scenario. Rather than pulling the wave, you can just stack two enemy creep waves and then teleport back to your Tower. It will make the lane push towards your tower, which means you will be able to get yourself a good amount of experience.
4) Farming behind the enemy tower. Several offlane heroes, such as Dark Seer, Batrider, Axe, Centaur Warrunner, Bristleback and more can farm very well behind the enemy tower. They can not only farm all enemy creeps but also clear nearby jungle camps, which help them increase their farming.
Remember, your highest priority is to get yourself a good amount of gold and experience from the lane. Once you reach good conditions, you can start playing aggressively and apply pressure on the enemy carry, and what is more important on the enemy towers.
Since here we are talking about offlaners with pushing potential, by the end of the early stage of the game your goal is to destroy at least three enemy towers.
Tips: If you aim to drag enemy waves, it is very good to block the small jungle camp with a ward. It will prevent the enemy support from restoring lane equilibrium with a pull.
If you want to farm behind the enemy tower, it is very effective to block the big jungle camp. It will prevent the enemy carry from getting extra gold by farming it.
Mid-stage of the game (12:00-26:00)
Hopefully, by the start of this stage, you already killed several enemy towers and secured your team a decent gold and territorial advantage.
Think about the strengths and weaknesses of yours and enemy team’s drafts. Use this information to your advantage. All heroes in our list have a good pushing potential, but also a very decent split pushing potential. Do what you think is best for you and your teammates. If enemy heroes has the ability to punish you for split pushing then you should play more around your teammates. But if they can’t, you should always use opportunities to push lanes, as it will give your team additional map control and will give you very necessary farm and experience.
Whenever your team is in good conditions, you should try to play around key objectives, such as towers and Roshan. Encourage your teammates to play together, so that you can use the pushing potential of your hero.
To make it simple, whenever your team has all key spells and items ready to use and they also have enough HP and mana to participate in fights, you should force them to gather up and apply pressure on enemy towers.
Late stage of the game (26:00 until the end of the game)
If you let the game go to this stage, very likely you are not having a very good time. However, that is not a huge problem, as most heroes in our list are very good at split pushing, fighting, and once again - pushing.
Good map control is key in the late stage of the game. Focus more on pushing the lanes away, but do it safely, every death at this stage of the game can be crucial.
Keep good communication with your teammates. Focus on playing around key objectives of the game, such as Roshan, Towers and Bounty Runes.
One good fight, one good smoke gank or even one decent solo kill and you will be able to shred the enemy base in several seconds. Just wait for the good opportunity.
1) Buying not enough healing items to sustain the laning stage effectively. It is not a big issue if you buy too many regen, but it can be a major issue if you buy too little. Several offlaners in our list are very vulnerable in the lane, so it is very important for them to have as much HP as possible throughout the laning stage.
2) Diving the enemy base. While you push the enemy base, you should be very careful not to dive too deep. Push oriented heroes can fall down immediately once they give away their advantage because of unnecessary risky moves. Play safely, force your opponents to dive you, rather than to dive them.
3) Playing exclusively as five. It is important for a pushing offlaner to play with his teammates and pressure enemy towers, but you should not do it at all times. Find a balance between pushing, farming and fighting. It is also important for you to get yourself some farm and experience.
4) Playing too aggressively at the very beginning of the laning stage. Most offlaners getting a lot stronger with levels. It is usually a good idea to wait until you reach level 3 before you start making aggressive plays.
1) Improve your skill through watching streams, videos or replays of professional players, who pick the hero you want to improve on. This is the easiest way to learn to play on a specific hero. You might be surprised, but many professional players watch and learn from each other on a constant basis. When you watch the other player, try to not copy his moves blindly, try to understand them.
2) Focus more on playing around key objectives of the game, such as Towers, Roshan and Bounty Runes. Dota 2 is not about fighting, it`s about destroying an enemy Ancient first. You should always remember it.
3) Think about the strengths and weaknesses of your and enemy team`s drafts. Use this information to your advantage. Try to avoid fights if the enemy team has a better team fight. Make sure to push towers if your team has a good pushing potential. Play smartly and effectively.👉 Add GOSU.AI bot to your friend list in Steam. Get a personal coach for free - сlick here! 👉
From GOSU.AI with 💙